Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Dream Come True

I love the Doctor Who TV show. In fact, I've been watching it since I was around 10 years old. I also have been going to Doctor Who conventions for the past 20 years. They are great fun and I get to see the same folks every year, though some of us are getting to look a little old. Not me, of course.

Since my kids have been born I have been hoping that they would some day come along with me to a convention. Recently Ian has been watching the show and he has discovered that he enjoys it. He especially likes the Daleks (who doesn't?). I gave him the option of going to this year's convention..and he went! It was a dream come true for me.

He really enjoyed the convention and was "bored" only a couple of times. It's not surprising as waiting in line for photos and autographs can be a bit tedious. He enjoyed it so much that next year he wants to go to all three days. This year we only went to the Saturday session.

It was wonderful for me that Ian went along to the con and maybe some day Cami will come, too. Instead of going to the con Cami went with her mom and her Nanna and got her ears pierced (more on that later).

One of the more memorable things that happened during the show happened in the video room. For those who aren't familiar with conventions there is usually a video room going just about 24 hours where they run episodes of the show or other shows that the various Doctor Who actors have played in. Ian and I ducked in to the room as they were running the Doctor Who episode called Terror of the Zygons. The scene we saw had the Loch Ness Monster chasing the Doctor across the moors of Scotland. Ian really liked that but then they showed one of the Zygons and Ian got up and couldn't get out of the room fast enough. He was really scared. He said he would have nightmares if he watched any more.

He loved the costume contest and spent a fair amount of time taking pictures of the contestants, especially the girls. There was one girl in particular that he liked. She was dressed as a female Dalek.

We both had such a good time that we're already looking forward to next year.





No comments: