Monday, May 16, 2011

Does This Dress Make Me Look Fat?

A year ago, just after last year's seminary graduation, our Bishop's wife asked if I could play "Praise to the Man" on my bagpipes for this year's seminary graduation. Well, that graduation ceremony was last night, and I did play.

Originally I was supposed to play along with a slide show featuring the life of Joseph Smith, but for whatever reason that slide show never happened. So, I just played up in front by myself. I was very nervous, but Aura went along and was a great support for me. She took care of my pipe case and other bags as well as reassured me that all was well.

She recorded me with her camera (just audio) and I think I sounded pretty good. I've been practising a lot over the last few months so I could get up to speed and not sound like a fool up there.

By the way, if I sound like I'm playing too fast through Praise to the Man it's because I'm used to playing this tune as a march and not a hymn. I suppose I could have slowed down a bit.

Here is the audio clip of me playing:




2 comments:

Ginny said...

I'm bummed! There should have been video. Betcha didn't go commando that night! Thanks for the sampling, your talent is amazing.

Doctor Fegg said...

It was in the chapel so I don't know if we would have been allowed to video tape my performance.

You're right, I was not commando that night. I had my "shamrock" shorts on. :)