Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm Blessed With Health Insurance

To date my son has broken his arm, has split his chin open twice (requiring stitches both times), cut open the back of his head (again requiring stitches), and has been hospitalized at least three times for asthma attacks. Did I mention that he was born 8 weeks early and spent 6 weeks in the NICU before we could bring him home?

And now he has added a broken nose to the laundry list of injuries. It happened at school during recess. He and another boy collided while playing. My son was knocked silly by the collision and still claims he doesn't remember anything about what happened. That's probably a good thing.

It's possible that his nose isn't actually broken, although I'm sure it is at least to some extent. His doctor never felt his nose during her examination nor did she x-ray him. Rather she gave him several neurological tests fearing that he might be concussed. He seems to be fine, other than a swollen nose and puffy yellow eyes.

And did I mention my daughter's various accidents? She has swallowed a battery, severely cut her finger requiring, if memory serves, 7 stitches, plus she split her head open when she fell head-first against a door frame and we think she broke her cheek bone when she pulled a TV cabinet down on herself. And let's not forget the time she fell on a water park slide and busted out a tooth and split her lip open. She required 8 stitches to sew her lip back together.

Boy oh boy, I'm really happy that I have health insurance.

No comments: