Thursday, February 19, 2009

Will We Wii?

Yes we will!

My best friend gave our family a Wii for Christmas this year. He wasn't able to give it to us until last Sunday because he was having a very difficult time finding one in the stores, or even on-line. He finally got one at Blockbuster video of all places. We set it up and the kids commenced fighting over it.

I have expressed some concern about how my kids will be affected by a video game, but so far it seems like the Wii is very fun and non-threatening. I might be wrong about this but there do not appear to be a lot of blood and gore games but rather the games are Super Mario type games. I remember several years ago my youngest niece was given a GameCube console for Christmas. The games I saw her playing were not, in my opinion, corrupting games. Instead they were games where gorillas and other animals would race around on souped-up dragsters, and similar games. The Wii is the successor to the GameCube and I expect that most of the games are similar. Of course, if there are blood and guts games we can simply not buy them.

My kids love the game, but there is a reason there is a strap on the controller. My daughter would have thrown the controller across the room if she hadn't had the strap around her wrist.

One thing I've noticed about how my kids play. Ian get's closer and closer to the TV as he whips the controller around. He needs constant reminders to back away from the TV so he doesn't break either the TV or his hand. Cami, on the other hand, needs constant reminders to move away from Ian so she doesn't get smacked in the head. It's great fun!

I'll post some pictures when I have them

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Welcome to every parents nightmare. It will either create more fights or more reprimands. Been there done it. But if you get enough of it we'll take it off your hands as we were thinking about one for the fitness possibilities.
Enjoy and watch out for the swinging arms...gorillas indeed.